After falling 30 feet to the ground from a wooded two tiered work platform a master stonemason died. Platform safety is very important and handmade platforms can be especially dangerous to workers. The platform was fabricated by the victim and another employee and attached to the forks of a powered industrial truck.
The accident occurred when the victim was preparing to exit the platform. At the time, the front guardrails were not in place and the worker was not wearing any type of fall protection. There were no platform safety procedures in place such as three point contact or 100 percent tie-off. It is not clear how the victim lost his balance or fell as the other employee did not have a clear view from ground level. He saw a paintbrush fall then the worker right after. He was pronounced dead a a local hospital from severe head and upper body injuries.
Safe Practices for Platform Safety
- Strictly follow the manufacturer’s instructions on proper usage of powered industrial trucks and never use any PITs as man-lifts or equip them with any form of personnel work platform, if they are not so designed.
- Ensure PITs are not modified or authorized to be modified in any way.
- Perform a hazard assessment before beginning any work that involves material movement and the lifting of workers.
- Develop and implement a fall protection plan
- Require all workers who operate PITs to receive training, and ensure they are certified to operate the machinery.
- Establish an enforcement policy for all employees that states work practices are expected to be performed in a manner consistent with applicable ANSI regulations, OSHA standards, and company health and safety policies.
Modular Access Platforms
Now available from Fall Protection Systems are the ErectaStep Modular Access Platforms. The MP Series (Mobile Work Platform) gives our customers the work space of a fixed platform with the benefit of mobility. This system is a highly mobile work platform that is designed to bring the user to their level of work with an unparalleled level of confidence and safety.
The mobile work platform is constructed of lightweight aluminum with powder coated handrails. It has full size 45 degree rise stair stringers in standard width and depth to meet OSHA specifications. The single user maneuverability ensure that the MP will be a favorite and undoubtedly the “go-to” workhorse of any facility. Download the drawing here.
Why Buy ErectaStep Modular Access Platforms?
- Completely Universal – design for your custom needs – allows for unites to be re-purposed later in other configurations.
- Pre-engineered Components – you save on custom engineering costs.
- Safety Compliance Built into the Product – lowers your risk of ownership and increases safety.
- Costs less than custom fabrication.
- In stock and ready to ship!