WALKING-WORKING SURFACES (OSHA 1910 Subpart D)
The intent of OSHA’s Walking-Working Surfaces standard, 29 CFR Part 1910, Subpart D, is to increase the protection of general industry employees and employers from hazards associated with walking-working surfaces.
1910.28 - Duty to Have Fall Protection and Falling Object Protection
- Requires that employers provide protection for each employee exposed to fall and falling object hazards.
- Requires that employers ensure that each employee on a walking-working surface with an unprotected side or edge that is four feet or more above a lower level is protected from falling.
- Requires that employers ensure that each employee exposed to falling objects must wear head protection and provide applicable structural or equipment barriers to prevent falling objects.
1910.29 - Fall Protection Systems and Falling Object Protection - Criteria & Practices
- Ensure each fall protection system and falling object protection, other than personal fall protection systems, meets requirements of this section and that personal fall protection systems meet requirements in 1910 Subpart I.
- Employers must provide and install all fall protection systems and falling object protection this subpart requires and comply with all included requirements before any employee begins work that necessitates fall or falling object protection.
1910.30 - Training Requirements
- Before any employee is exposed to a fall hazard, the employer must provide training for each employee who used personal fall protection systems or who is required to be trained as specified elsewhere in this subpart.
- The employer must ensure that each employee is trained by a qualified person.
- Training must include the nature of fall hazards in the work area and how to recognize them, procedures to minimize those hazards, correct procedures for installing, inspecting, operating, maintaining, and disassembling the personal fall protection systems that the employee uses, and the correct use of personal fall protection systems and equipment specified.