1. Less Fall Clearance Distance - Wire rope systems require additional fall clearance due to the initial sag of the wire. The dynamic sag, or the stretch of the rope during a fall, adds to this distance. Gorbel's rigid rail stops the fall sooner by eliminating any sag, stopping the fall in a much shorter distance than wire rope. By eliminating initial and dynamic sag distance, a Gorbel rigid rail anchor system is the best option for fall arrest in low headroom applications. With a shorter overall fall distance than wire rope, less clearance is required from the anchor point to the floor below.
2. Reduced Risk of Secondary Fall Injuries - Injuries occurring after the fall, such as swinging into obstacles, are minimized with an anchorage system that stays firm and minimizes total fall distance. When a worker falls on a wire rope system, the wire's sag will make the trolley or pulley slide to the center of the nearest two supports, creating a risk for the fallen worker to collide with nearby obstacles as it centers.
3. Longer Distances Between Supports - A rigid anchor system allows you to cover great lengths between supports. This reduces both material and installation costs for your system, and also makes installation easier with fewer restrictions for where supports will be located.
4. Safer Work For Multiple People - When a worker falls on a wire rope system, any slack on the wire is eliminated. The result could be a sudden pull on the rope that can have a jarring effect on other workers on the same system, putting them at risk. Rigid rail systems provide uninterrupted protection for additional workers on the same system without putting them in harm's way. In the event of one worker's fall, the enclosed track will not bend or deflect. That allows additional workers to continue moving freely and safely.
5. May Be Configured Into an "X-Y" FULL SPAN COVERAGE - (see Bridge Applications) With origins in the "bridge crane" industry; these systems are ideal for broader coverage areas that enable the worker to travel forward/backwards, as well as full left/right coverage over a wide area (ideal for aircraft hanger applications with varying airframe coverage's).